Our vision for Beaufort County is a living, working community that cherishes its natural splendor, protects its environment, respectfully plans the use of its lands and also preserves its unique heritage for the benefit of all residents — present and future.
Create and execute a program to generate voter support for the successful passage of the November 6 referendum authorizing the County to purchase general obligation bonds in the amount of $25 million that will fund the continuation of the effective land and open space preservation program for Beaufort County.
- Prepare materials that will educate the public to the importance of the upcoming referendum, and also convince them to vote for its passage and persuade others to do so as well.
- Communicate and disseminate information to groups and individuals across the county in a thorough and cost-efficient manner.
- Create enthusiasm among advocates that this is a worthy effort deserving of their personal and financial support.
Our Steering Committee
Our Steering Committee consists of three experienced members from each of the 3 sectors of Beaufort County:
- Beth Grace, The City of Beaufort and Northern Beaufort County
- Jim Chaffin, Bluffton & Okatie
- Lee Edwards, Hilton Head Island & Daufuskie Island
Beth Grace, former Vice Chair Person for Beaufort County Council is an active member of several environmental organizations and Beaufort County historic preservation groups including chair of the Old Point Association.
Jim Chaffin is a founding developer of Spring Island in Beaufort County and served as a Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Urban Land Institute, a non-profit research and education institute that is dedicated to responsible land use. He co-chaired with Charleston Mayor Joe Reilly a South Carolina statewide collaborative smart growth initiative which sought to identify and foster patterns of growth that are economically sound, environmentally sensitive and supportive of community livability.
Lee Edwards is CEO of The Greenery a multi-faceted landscaper services company that is one of the largest private enterprises of its kind in the USA. Lee is a former two-term Council Member of Hilton Head Island Town Council and a former board member of the Open Land Trust.